Loving Yourself

A brief thought here.

God never says "love yourself," "accept yourself," or "I think you're wonderful."

He says,

"You're made in My image, which makes you valuable beyond belief. You are also desperately wicked and broken and deserve to be under my wrath in hell forever. But I love you. Not because you deserve it. You don't. You don't deserve my love or anyone else's. But I choose to love you. I sent my Son to die for you and reconcile you to myself. I'm better than self-love and self-acceptance, and I'm better than love and acceptance from others. I am the greatest person and reality in the universe, and if you will embrace me as your greatest treasure, you will come to see that your need for approval elsewhere isn't actually a need. It is a desire that will shrink until one day, when I perfect you, it will be gone."

Check Romans 3, 5, 8, and 9. This is important. Self-love is one of Satan's biggest ploys in our day, and it sucks in many well-intentioned people. Many. Fight it. We don't need others to love us. We don't need to love ourselves. God loves us. This is not only enough. It's better.

Comments

Subscribe to the Stopping to Think newsletter:

Popular posts from this blog

A quick thought on Christian thought.

Confederate flags and loving our brother

Why Christians don't understand the same-sex marriage debate-and thus are losing it.