Review: The 5 Masculine Instincts by Chase Replogle

 

The 5 Masculine Instincts: A Guide to Becoming a Better ManThe 5 Masculine Instincts: A Guide to Becoming a Better Man by Chase Replogle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a really good book. Chapter four alone is worth the price of the book.

I appreciated Replogle's discussion of manhood through the lens of these 5 instincts, with the understanding that the instincts simply are. The question is not whether these instincts exist in our lives, the question is: will we master them, or be mastered by them? Replogle points us - through a skillful mix of question asking, and drawing from narratives both inside and outside of Scripture - to the source of true character and manhood: Jesus, the man who died for us.

As I said, the chapter on Adventure, focusing on Samson, was particularly good. The only chapter I struggled with was the Ambition chapter, as I'm not sure that shoe quite fits on Moses' foot. Lots of what Replogle says in that chapter about ambition is really helpful, I just kept getting hung up on the use of Moses which doesn't seem to fit.

This is also a very accessible book, and I foresee using it in men's groups, 1-on-1 discipling, and giving it as a gift.

View all my reviews

Comments

Subscribe to the Stopping to Think newsletter:

Popular posts from this blog

A quick thought on Christian thought.

Confederate flags and loving our brother

Why Christians don't understand the same-sex marriage debate-and thus are losing it.