A Dangerous Chase

A man went out into the world
twas greatness that he hoped to find.
But as life’s pressures ‘round him swirled,
those dreams crumbled in his mind.

Dejected by the hand life dealt,
our friend’s life began to waver;
because great failure he had felt,
he trusted drugs to be his savior.

“Just numb it all,” he told himself,
as the needle slipped inside his vein.
He felt he fought the world itself;
that all of life was naught but pain.

He lost both family and health
while success was chief endeavor;
but loss of job meant loss of wealth,
he was left without all earthly treasure.

He passed out one night beside the road,
not to awake again on earth.
Could one have his end foretold?
What would that warning have been worth?

The tragic end of this man’s life
should cause each one to pause.
What do I value in this life?
What has been my greatest cause?

Will I come to the end and find
that all I've lived for is but naught?
To what has been my heart inclined?
What sort of treasure have I sought?

You see when all is said and done,
our temporal things won’t matter.
But when our treasure is the Son,
we have a wealth that will not shatter.

I wrote the original version of this for the Coeur d' Alene Press, where it was published on December 21, 2012. I also posted it previously on the blog. I changed some of the wording and punctuation here, hopefully making it more readable. 

Comments

Subscribe to the Stopping to Think newsletter:

Popular posts from this blog

A quick thought on Christian thought.

Confederate flags and loving our brother

Why Christians don't understand the same-sex marriage debate-and thus are losing it.