Review: The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway


The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other StoriesThe Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a somewhat uneven collection. I wasn't a big fan of the title story, and I didn't finish A Way You'll Never Be. On the flip side, In Another Country and Fifty Grand were two of the best short stories I've read. The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber surprised me with its finish, and was a fitting conclusion to the book.

Everyone knows Hemingway as the dude with short, punchy, declarative sentences. I think the genius of that style is that he ends up drawing you into the occasional run-on sentence. And you have the energy to follow because he has set you up with all those brief declarations. His ability to communicate action via words makes me want to write.

View all my reviews

Comments

Subscribe to the Stopping to Think newsletter:

Popular posts from this blog

A quick thought on Christian thought.

Confederate flags and loving our brother

Why Christians don't understand the same-sex marriage debate-and thus are losing it.