Should Churches be Open?

 The first thing to say in this post is that I am profoundly thankful to live in Iowa these days. While there has certainly been COVID in our area (including among some members of our church), it hasn't reached the levels of other parts of the county. Additionally, our government, both local and state, have been very restrained as to what they restrain. 

As to the question I headed this post with, should churches remain open?, I don't propose to have an actual answer. Our church decided to begin meeting in person again the 1st Sunday in June, about a month after the legal ban on group gatherings lifted here. To be honest, it is a decision that I do feel was correct and prudent, but it is also one that I have lingering doubts toward. The balance between obeying Christ's command to gather, coupled with vital role of gathering in the Christian life seems to me to outweigh the potential risks to life and health--especially in a place where bars and restaurants remain open. Would my judgement be different if I lived in a place where the state were saying no to indoor gatherings? I'm not sure. I'd like to think that I'd be searching for creative ways to both address the spiritual needs of the church and honor the earthly authorities he has put in place (see Romans 13, Hebrews 10, 1 Peter 2). 

Here is my brief take, and then I'm going to link to some reading for you.

Churches need to be willing at this point to reevaluate what is actually important in ministry. Even if we make the call to go back to meeting, there is no scriptural warrant or need to force back into place all of our previous ministries and programs. Wisdom is needed. What are we called to do, specifically by Scripture? How can we best do that, while staying within governmental guidelines and protecting, insofar as possible, the physical health of our members? Not simple questions to answer. But important ones to ask.

Here's a statement that's gotten a lot of traction, including among people I know. I think I agree with what they're doing...but I think the statement itself has problems.

Here is a response from Brad LittleJohn (a long read, but worth it)

And 3 from 9Marks ministries: #1 Leeman Article

                                                    #2 Podcast, Leeman and Dever

                                                    #3 Leeman Follow-up

Comments

Subscribe to the Stopping to Think newsletter:

Popular posts from this blog

A quick thought on Christian thought.

Confederate flags and loving our brother

Why Christians don't understand the same-sex marriage debate-and thus are losing it.